----- Original message -----

> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 07:16:43PM +0200,
> kate.alh...@nokia.com<mailto:kate.alh...@nokia.com> wrote:
>
> > > What people are asking here (among other things) is whether there
> > > are Qt widgets similar to HildonAppMenu or HildonPickerButton
> > > -which are absolutely essential for creating Fremantle
> > > applications- or developers are supposed to write them themselves.
> >
> > To avoid re-inventing the wheel again we are providing examples how
> > you can do things with Qt. [...] If some of these composite widgets
> > are so big problem, we can collect these examples as widget library.
>
> That's what I mean.
>
> While it's obvious that you can write apps for fremantle in toolkits
> other than Gtk/Hildon (e.g Canola), developers will have a hard time
> to make them fit in with the Fremantle UI style unless they have
> reasonable replacements for the most basic widgets.
>
> So yes, a widget library with equivalents to HildonAppMenu,
> HildonPickerButton, etc., would be the way to go in my opinion.

First, sorry, the place to get hildon is git.maemo.org, as others have said. My
bad.

Now, on this QT thing, my personal view on the current state of QT in Maemo 5
is:

QT is great when you want:
- Create desktop (i.e. Home) applets
- Create custom UIs like Canola
- Create fancy unique animated stuff with your own graphics
- Only need stuff to work with Maemo 5 "skinning" (i.e. Theme), don't care so
much about finer details of user experience, as it is in Maemo 5.

However, if you want to have the exact same user experience as the preinstalled
Maemo 5 applications have (as seen in all youtube videos and the SDK), then you
have much easier time and faster development with the gtk-based hildon widgets
in Maemo 5.

QT is at least equally powerful as GTK, but currently it lacks the Maemo 5
specific hildon widgets. So you would have to implement the most important
hildon widgets yourself in QT, which is not easy if what you aim for is
seamless user experience with the preinstalled Maemo 5 apps.

The equivalent of Hildon (i.e. mobile, finger optimized widgets) is roughly the
QT mobility http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/QtMobility, which is not
available yet. As you can read from that page, you need more than "vanilla" QT
for mobile UI. In GTK that mobile experience is provided by the new hildon
widgets introduced in Maemo 5.

BR,
Mox