On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:37, Matan Ziv-Av <ma...@svgalib.org> wrote:

> One immediate issue comes to mind - the actual connection of the donation
> seeker to the project needs to be prominently displayed, while now it can't
> be known.

Most of the time, I'm expecting there to be a one-to-one relationship
between the donation seeker and the primary project author/maintainer.
This is a way of trying to monetise, slightly, maemo.org so that
everyone who has an idea can still go the open source route with a
possibility of making just a tiny bit of money.

> http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/vim/
>
> I see that you (together with Marius Gedminas) wrote this marvelous text
> editor, which in my estimation took thousands of work hours, so I'll happily
> donate to you. Does this sound fair?

If we asked for a $1 donation, then yes - I think that's fair.
Repackaging vim isn't free, after all, and it's an optional donation.
Obviously it would be stupid of us to ask for a donation of $20
because:

  a) we didn't write vim and there'd be threads all over the place
     about it;
  b) no-one would donate

Cheers,

Andrew