On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Andrew Flegg wrote:

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:37, Matan Ziv-Av <ma...@svgalib.org> wrote:

One immediate issue comes to mind - the actual connection of the donation
seeker to the project needs to be prominently displayed, while now it can't
be known.

Most of the time, I'm expecting there to be a one-to-one relationship
between the donation seeker and the primary project author/maintainer.
This is a way of trying to monetise, slightly, maemo.org so that
everyone who has an idea can still go the open source route with a
possibility of making just a tiny bit of money.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/vim/

I see that you (together with Marius Gedminas) wrote this marvelous text
editor, which in my estimation took thousands of work hours, so I'll happily
donate to you. Does this sound fair?

If we asked for a $1 donation, then yes - I think that's fair.
Repackaging vim isn't free, after all, and it's an optional donation.
Obviously it would be stupid of us to ask for a donation of $20
because:

 a) we didn't write vim and there'd be threads all over the place
    about it;
 b) no-one would donate

Do you not think that if you ask for a donation (be it 1$ or 100$) for this work, it should be clear what this work is? Currently the page claims that you wrote vim. If you add a donation button to that, it becomes fraud.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         ma...@svgalib.org