Marius Gedminas wrote:

It has happened to me a couple of times: I'm supposedly online, but
every attempt to resolve a name gives me a "Network error".   Going
offline and back online helps.

This could be DNS fault. Happened to me too. dnsmasq deamon caches negative dns lookups (i.e. those which failed), this can be turned off via -N commandline flag. also try to restart dnsmasq (as root) when this happens
# /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
Does it help? If yes this should be reported in bugzilla.

I have added -N to OPTS in /etc/init.d/dnsmasq but I'm not sure it helped or not. I don't have this error frequently.

Frantisek