On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:06:23 -0500 Willie McKemie <mckemie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:05:40PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >
> > > After installing
> > > dropbear_0.48-0.1_armel.deb
> > > I still do not have ssh access to the 770.
> >
> > What do you get instead -- connection refused, or permission denied?
>
> "no route to host"

This is what happens when the 770 is offline, or you use a wrong IP address.

> DHCP server has given the 770 192.168.110.248, which is reasonable; my
> local subnet is 192.168.110.x.
> Host attempting to ssh into 770 gets many response from other hosts
> with:
> ping -b 192.16.110.0

But does it get a ping response from 192.168.110.248?

> Since I haven't set up any user accounts on the 770, I don't know what
> to expect when I ssh into the 770.

A password prompt followed by a "Permission denied" error.

You need to either use SSH pubkey authentication (and specify the username
'user'), or log in as root and set a password for the 'user' account.

ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] will work with the password 'rootme'.  That's
probably not what you want in the long term.  I suggest changing the
root password.  (Or locking the root account with 'passwd -l' after you've
set up pubkey auth and granted the user 'user' full sudo rights.)

> > (I use OpenSSH myself.)
>
> I'll put openssh in my ever growing list of things to try.  :-)

Easiest way to install it: first install becomeroot and xterm (and remove
dropbear), then open a terminal and do

  sudo su
  apt-get install ssh

Alternatively, if you're happy with dropbear, stick with it.  I think it is
supposed to be smaller.

> It appears that it is set up to automatically use
> http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/     mistral user
> and
> http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/ mistral user
> Not so?

Yes, but those repositories do not contain anything interesting (yet).

Marius Gedminas
--
  To express oneself
  In seventeen syllables