You don't need a dongle, no.  Just a cable.

If you have a miniDVI port on a device, then you can have a simple cable
that is:

1) MiniDVI to HDMI (just the video signals)
2) MiniDVI to DVI
3) MiniDVI to VGA*
4) MiniDVI to Video*

(* only if the dvi hardware supports DVI-A (the analog pins))

HDMI can't do #3 nor #4, because its video pins are "DVI minus DVI-A",
so it is ultimately less flexible.  You can't easily connect it to a VGA
monitor nor analog TV.

That's why I prefer DVI over HDMI.

And, I'm not suggesting the need for analog because I think it's still
important to support analog.  I'm suggesting it so that those who want
to use their internet tablet as a light weight mobile workstation can do
so cheaply.  Just pick up any VGA monitor, or even an old TV, and you're
in business.  You probably can fill this niche without even buying anything.