On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 05:03:42PM +0200, Tuomas Kulve wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > That's bizarre.  What security implications are there in ping that would
> > mean it has to be run only by root?  Forcing people to use root when not
> > necessary is itself a security problem.
>
> Ping seems to be setuid root on my debian. So it's run as root here too.

There's a big difference between setuid root ahd having to be root.
I presume ping can handle its own security issues and ping properly and
unobjectionably.  But if I have to become root before executing ping,
there's a whole load of trouble I can get into by forgetting the stop
being root after I've run ping.  Not to mention that I might be a
know-little user who can't be trusted with full root access.  Who might
know just enough to get into serious trouble but not enough not to.

-- hendrik