On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 04:43:51PM +0100, Zoran Kolic wrote:
> >     If you're a new user, I'd forget O7 and go directly to 08.  There's
> > enough 08 stuff for a new user that you'll spend a week or more
> > exploring all that's available, and by then, even more stuff will be
> > available.
>
> A lot of useful command line tools have gone to the mist.
> Hope the same will not get perl, python, ruby...

So, what command-line tools do you miss?  I've got an idle scratchbox
here.

I've built some today (less, links, mc, wget; made vim actually
installable).  I don't have upload privileges to maemo extras yet, so
you can find them only at http://mg.pov.lt/770/

Python is semi-installable on OS2008 today; for some packages you have
to go through the kitten dance[1] to avoid broken CDN proxies.

[1] The kitten dance is this (needs root):

    cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    sudo apt-get install whateveryouwant
      see which URLs failed with a size mismatch error
    sudo wget -O package-filename-version.deb http://url/from/above?kitten
      for every URL that couldn't be downloaded normally, append
      ?kittens and save here under the normal filename
    sudo apt-get install whateveryouwant
      actually install stuff

Credit goes to sp3000 on #maemo for the idea.

Marius Gedminas
--
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
                -- Albert Einstein