Tuomas Kulve wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>> That's bizarre.  What security implications are there in ping that would
>> mean it has to be run only by root?  Forcing people to use root when not
>> necessary is itself a security problem.
>>

> Ping seems to be setuid root on my debian. So it's run as root here too.

Other than my N800, I have never experienced having to be root to ping.
It is a useful user level diagnostic.  Imaging someone providing user
support in a large corporation, as I have done.  A user cannot connect
to something.  You talk them through various tests they can do, to help
isolate a problem.  One of the tools to use is ping.  Another is
traceroute.  I pity the support person, who doesn't have those available.