Hi,

ext Tilman Vogel wrote:
> Michael R. Head schrieb:
>> I've tried umounting it and running fsck.vfat on it (over ssh), but I
>> get a malloc error:
>> Nokia-N810-50-2:~# fsck.vfat  /dev/mmcblk0p1
>> dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
>> alleged total clusters: 999603
>> malloc:Input/output error
>
> I just experienced the same problem. If you have a miniSD card
> installed, you can activate a temporary swap space on it
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/mmc1/.swap bs=1M count=16
> mkswap /media/mmc1/.swap
> swapon /media/mmc1/.swap

Better to first check from mount output which MMC is which, one could
easily confuse them when needing to use /media/mmc*/ path for one and
/dev/ device name for another command.  Having swap as file on corrupted
mmc file system could have "interesting effects". :-)

> Then the fsck has enough memory.

I've looked a bit into its memory usage and beside the constant overhead
that is relative to the card size, FAT fsck memory usage is also
dependent on how many directory entries (i.e. subdirectories and files)
you have on a card so sometimes you might need more memory.

        - Eero