I tested this out on demo.mahara.org just now (which is running 16.04.3)
and was not able to replicate:

1. Log in to demo.mahara.org
2. Go to user account settings and set "Device detection" to "No"
3. Create a page

Result: TinyMCE displays correctly, in the page's description field

** Changed in: mahara

** Summary changed:

- tinymce on mobile
+ TinyMCE not showing on mobile in 16.04

  TinyMCE not showing on mobile in 16.04

Status in Mahara:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  This is a bug reported by a user.

  Tinymce does not show in mobile device browsers.

  It used to show if device detection was turned off. We upgraded to
  16.04 and now tinymce doesn't show anymore (on mobile device
  browsers).