On Wed, April 22, 2009 19:12, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Adam McGreggor wrote:
>

>> Just a quick query really (and possibly being slightly cheeky asking
>> here...), but have any of you guys backported Mailman 2.1.12 from the
>> Ubuntu Jaunty (or Debian 5) repos -> Ubuntu Hardy?
>>

>> I can't seem to find anything with an internet search, and I'd rather
>> not repeat the efforts, if someone's already done it (as it's been quite
>> some time since I last backported something)
>
> I have not.  I'm not sure who's packaging Mailman for Ubuntu (I might
> be able to find someone to ask <wink>), but I could certainly see us
> providing PPAs for folks who want to run the latest and greatest.  I don't
> have much packaging-fu but if someone wants to volunteer to do the heavily
> lifting, I'd be happy to twiddle the Launchpad bits.

Mailman in Ubuntu is essentially Mailman in Debian: the Ubuntu package is
a verbatim copy of the Debian one.

Unfortunately our maintenance team currently has the volunteer manpower to
just keep up, but not to extend its tasks, so we're not really involving
ourselves in extra backporting efforts. (BTW: if anyone on this list is
interested in improving the Debian/Ubuntu packaging of Mailman they're
welcome to join our team! Contact me to get started)

However, I don't think it should be complex to backport it, so I urge you
to just try and do it. One catch may be that in the 2.1.12-1 package
version we cleaned up a number of old compatibility/upgrading measures for
old releases, which may be relevant again if you backport it. But I think
you'll encounter it along the way if that's the case.

cheers,
Thijs