On Tuesday, 21 July 2026 22:53:59 CEST Lars Bjørndal wrote: > Thanks a lot for your input! > > You wrote: > > > > Lars Bjørndal writes: > > > > > > > https://lamasti.net/filer/shutdown.log.gz > > > > > > You've got some kind of logging problem with writing to the persistent > > storage for the log, whatever that is (defaults to several files in > > $var/dir/logs, but can be configured very flexibly using the stdlib > > logging module). > > > I've installed mailman3 following the guide at > https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/install/virtualenv.html. So Mailma's > log files is in /opt/mailman3/mm/var/log. But the log I've provided, is, as > you say, from systemd/journalctl. > > > A bunch of Mailman processes are raising exceptions > > when trying to log that they're shutting down. This could result in a > > deadlock, which is why systemd terminates the processes with SIGABRT. > > > > There's also a message about reentrancy (I think only one per process, > > but Mailman 3 spawns lots of processes). It might be a bug in logging > > (not Mailman code) but I think that's some exception handler that's > > trying to log the logging exception. If so, it's not the root problem > > and should not recur if you fix the basic problem. > > > > 1. What, if anything, is in Mailman's own logs? This appears to be > > > > systemd's log from journalctl. > > > In /opt/mailman3/mm/var/logs/error.log I have: > > ``` > [2026-07-20 08:57:39 +0200] [2594] [INFO] Handling signal: int > [2026-07-20 08:57:41 +0200] [2594] [ERROR] Worker (pid:2596) was sent code > 131! > [2026-07-20 08:57:42 +0200] [2594] [INFO] Shutting down: Master > [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2510] [INFO] Starting gunicorn 23.0.0 > [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2510] [INFO] Listening at: > http://127.0.0.1:8000 (2510) > [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2510] [INFO] > Using worker: sync > [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2538] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 2538 > ``` > > > > 2. Do you have any settings for logging in mailman.cfg? > > > No, nothing. > > > > 3. If your logging handler is a file-based handler, maybe the log > > > > partition is full. > > > Both /opt and /var is on the same file system with lot of space. > > > > 4. Maybe there is some security restriction (selinux?) on the logging > > > > channel, whatever it is. Or a permissions restriction on the file > > system so Mailman can't write. > > > I don't think so, because Mailman writes to it's logs in > /opt/mailman3/mm/var/log. I don't use selinux. > > > I also noticed that PostgreSQL gets shut down, but there's no log that > > it gets restarted. I think Mailman should then shutdown with an error > > that it can't talk to the database, but maybe it retries a few times. > > > > >From the log I can see that PostgeSQL is started before mailman tries to > >start. > > Lars
Just two ideas: Are you sure your mailman *.service files are correct. Especially with respect to ordering startup and shutdown (After= and things like that)? Does it contain your database service and network? Are you sure your filesystem(s) with /opt and /var is/are still mounted when this happens? Don't know how you could check that. But they are local filesystems, no network involved? Andreas _______________________________________________ Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected] To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected] https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/ Archived at: https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/7VW4WMGFT4S4BERSVHGXD7OTZUWOSWPM/ This message sent to [email protected]
