On 5/30/08 8:40 AM, Larry Stone wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008, David Newman wrote:

When you then get the AOL TOS e-mail, you can figure out who the list
recipient was as while AOL redacts the AOL recipient, they don't touch the
Return-Path.
I wish this were true, but it appears AOL gets to the Return-Path too:

Hmmm. I had one as recently as 5/15 and Return-Path was not touched nor
some of the other places the address appears. It is frustrating that AOL
wants to stop the unwanted e-mail but tries to make it difficult to figure
out who is complaining.

Indeed. I got my case escalated, and at first the AOL postmaster was responsive, but I haven't heard back since pointing this out a few days ago.

Given the above, is "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" the subscriber that's complaining?
Or is it just a coincidence that that AOL user got listed first?

I think so. With personalization on, Mailman is generating a separate
e-mail for each user which passes through Postfix as separate messages
with a unique ID in Postfix. Without personalization, Mailman could pass
as few as one message to the MTA and let the MTA split it into all the
destinations. With personalization, the message for each user comes to the
MTA as a separate message. One of the tradeoffs of personalization is the
increased workload for Mailman and the MTA.

Initially I thought the changes I made to mailman would result in a unique Message-ID per recipient, but this does not appear to be the case.

For future reference, are these the only mailman change needed to get unique ESMTP IDs?

1. in mm_cfg.py, add "OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes"

2. enable personalization for the list in the Web UI

If so, that may be "good enough" to catch who's complaining.

thanks much

dn