On Oct 23, 2012, at 9:28 AM, "Kalbfleisch, Gary" <ga...@shoreline.edu> wrote:

> As a result of this activity I have changed all lists so that confirmation is
> required for all subscriptions, and only list owners can view the list of
> subscribers.  The confirmations don't actually solve the email bombing
> problem but it will keep bogus subscriptions to a minimum.  I have
> implemented some iptables filters as noted previously but I have not yet
> opened up the web interface externally.  I have been monitoring traffic
> directed to port 80 on my Mailman server and it has gone down significantly
> since I put up the block.  I may open it up again next week to see how my
> iptables filters work.

BTW, all the general speculation and conversation about CAPTCHAs, etc...
notwithstanding, you do clearly have a real operational problem today.

For your specific issue, I would recommend keeping your proposed solutions as
relatively simple as possible, and layer them.  Requiring confirmation is a
good simple solution to a number of problems, as is restricting the ability to
see list membership to only those people who are list owners.

In my experience, KISS+layering almost always beats solutions that are complex
from Day One.

--
Brad Knowles <b...@shub-internet.org>