On Oct 29, 2012, at 02:14 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>Such an enhancement would obviously not help anyone using a currently
>"older" Mailman package, but going forward, say into MM3, it might be a
>good idea to make this information available in some such way.  I use
>courier as a MTA, and courier has a "courier-config" executable
>in /usr/bin which spits out all sorts of useful build information,
>including the package creator's build-time configure args.

Mailman 3 should be much more FHS friendly out of the box.  Of course, one
important change is that we have actual ini-file configuration and not the
crazy mm_cfg.py stuff.

The ini-file contains a [mailman]layout configuration variable which names a
[paths.*] section from your configuration file.  These sections are used to
locate all the directories Mailman puts things.  By default, it uses the
[paths.dev] layout which puts everything under a local, relative 'var'
directory.  It comes with a [paths.fhs] section so switching to FHS layout
(which of course distro versions of Mailman 3 should do), you would add the
following to your mailman.cfg file:

-----snip snip-----
[mailman]
layout: fhs
-----snip snip-----

Here are the values it uses in FHS layout:

[paths.fhs]
# Filesystem Hiearchy Standard 2.3
# http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
bin_dir: /sbin
var_dir: /var/lib/mailman
queue_dir: /var/spool/mailman
log_dir: /var/log/mailman
lock_dir: /var/lock/mailman
etc_dir: /etc
ext_dir: /etc/mailman.d
pid_file: /var/run/mailman/master.pid

Of course, if you wanted to e.g. put the master.pid file in /run instead of
/var/run, you could do something like this:

-----snip snip-----
[mailman]
layout: slashrun

[paths.slashrun]