On 8/26/2020 2:05 PM, Brian Carpenter wrote:
Get off a ship that is no longer sailing ahead and wants to instead to permanently anchor in place.

As someone regularly uses and maintains a fair bit of old and antique machinery, MM2 still has a lot of life in it. Yes, the original team isn't going to do much with it, but others probably will. And for someone who wants to run a few simple lists* , MM3 is, um, rather a heavyweight. If I'm reading things correctly, in addition to the web server you need python3, django, a sass compiler (w/ ruby overhead), anything else? It certainly doesn't look as easy to install or configure as MM2.

*(I have 3 lists, at most 50 people on each, hardly ever any changes)

Also, from https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/pre-installation-guide.html
"The short version is that as of now, upgrading from Mailman 2.1 to Mailman 3.1 is buggy."

So, it's likely that a lot of people will still be using MM2 for at least a few years (heck there are are Solaris -7- systems out there, happily running production code). That ship is happily performing it's daily passenger runs.

Later,

z!