David Gibbs via Mailman-Users writes:

Hi, David!

 > On 12/3/20 9:02 AM, Brian Carpenter wrote:
 > > Look for the following line on those lists without the reCAPTCHA element:
 > >
 > > <mm-digest-question-end>
 > >
 > > Add the following two lines right below the above line:
 > >
 > > <mm-recaptcha-ui>
 > > <mm-captcha-ui>

I don't use this, so I'm just going to assume Brian's advice was
right.

 > I've got the keys set in my mm_cfg.py file, and have quadruple verified
 > that they are correct ...

OK, so assume they are.

 > but for some reason I keep getting the error "reCAPTCHA validation
 > failed: invalid-input-response" when submitting the form.

 > ----------
 >        <mm-digest-question-end>
 >        <mm-recaptcha-ui>

You're missing <mm-captcha-ui> here.  I'm pretty sure that is what
accepts the input.  See comment in rendered output below.

 >            <center><MM-Subscribe-Button></P></center>

This next comment almost certainly has nothing to do with the CAPTCHA
issue (as a text/html or text/xhtml page, browsers are extremely
lenient), but if you want to be pedantically correct (and who doesn't?
:-) you should delete the unmatched </P> above, and add </td></tr>
here (ie, between </center> and </TABLE>).

 >      </TABLE>
 > -----------
 >
 > It renders like this:
 >
 > ----------
 >        digest?
 >          <input type=radio name="digest" value="1">  Yes
 >      </TD>

 >              <noscript>This form requires JavaScript.</noscript>
 >              <script src="https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js?hl=en";>
 >              </script>
 > data-sitekey="6LeN3gwTAAAAABLV8GkJQlgj4YQC7BYHgDkdJLxZ"></div>

Notice that although you have the script, there's no <INPUT> element
here to accept the user's input.  As I mentioned, I'm simply relying
on Brian's advice, plus generic knowledge of how most HTML pages are
put together, and a bit of guess work, but what do you have to lose by
trying, right?