On 25 Aug 2015, at 23:59, Bill Cole wrote:

Isn't mbox great: one always has to specify a particular tool's flavor...

Yes, this is why I've been reluctant with respect to implementing mbox export. Thanks for the `formail` trick. Now I can just blame an external utility.

(Tangent: Senior mail admins are insanely over-represented on this mailing list.)

Another approach I've played with but not really exercised hard is a zombie "IMAP Account" permanently offline as a local archive. The connection settings don't work and never have, but I can create folders and subfolders and MM creates the directories just as it would for a normal account. Benny has vaguely warned that this might not be a reliable approach, but I think that's only because it has no backend and ultimately would be lost if MM decided its local cache of messages was not to be trusted.

Yes, also the fact that moving a message from an online account to an offline account doesn't work as the user might expect. MailMate is very strict about not deleting anything from a source account until **after** the destination is synchronized (the message is uploaded). This never happens for an offline IMAP account.

Tags may not work also...

They work, but are also lost if the MailMate database is corrupted. This might be improved when I finally get around to mapping tags to OS X file metadata.