It is a lot simpler to simply use a different originating IP Address, based on whether it is marketing vs transactional, I don't believe anyone should mix those two...

On 16-02-10 09:45 AM, Doug Brenner wrote:
RFC 5863 section 2.3, "Choosing the Signing Domain Name", discusses
using multiple domains to separate different email streams, e.g.,
marketing vs. transactional.

I'm curious about experiences of doing this when the RFC5822.From
and/or RFC5821.From domain(s) are the parent.

For example, say I send email with header,

   From: m...@example.com

and DKIM sign with d=bulk.example.com.

I know the DKIM RFC says the "signing identity specified by the DKIM
signature is not required to match an address in any particular header
field", however, it's really up the recipients in the end.

Is anyone doing this to separate email streams and create different
DKIM domain reputations?

What "real-world" impact does it have when the header domain and DKIM
domain don't match? (In particular, when the header domain is the
parent as above.)

Is it worth the effort to setup this type of environment instead of
just putting everything under the example.com domain?

I'm sure some sites are dealing with this by changing the From address
to use a matching DKIM domain, but when you're dealing with a
university where everyone wants to use the parent, sub-domains are
likely to happen.

If you can point me to resources or a better discussion list, that's
fine too. Thanks.
--
Doug Brenner, UNIX System Administrator
Information Technology Services, The University of Iowa

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."