On 24/3/2016 07:03, Dave Warren wrote:
Are there really that many customers using freemail domains, yet paying for ESP services? For realsies? And if so, wouldn't this be an obvious upsell opportunity or partnership to get these customers using their own domain?
As a small ESP, my servers keep getting blocked by MS for no reason, so I actually have to recommend my customers keep their "old" hotmail/msn address so they can send to MS domains while I play hide-n-seek getting new IPs to send from/wait for delisting. So there's a real-life situation of freemail+paid ESP services.

In fact, as someone mentioned, we're currently looking into setting up our outgoing SMTP servers to send via each client's freemail account via SMTP auth. So that would cover the DMARC issue, too. Provided they don't block us, of course.

Another case is some customers want their managed mail services on their "proper" domain but want to keep their freemail accounts because they've given out business cards etc so during a transition period, which could be years, they keep both.

--GM