By forcing Domain Alignment you would inevitably sacrifice the ability to send
marketing mails for a huge amount of mom-and-pop shops. Even destroy the
business model of a couple of ESPs. I don't argue against it, on my platform
here, we even go the next step and try to force our customers to even hide the
used subdomain (5321.From == t.example.com | 5322.From == example.com) signed
by example.com and our own domain. But we do this out of data protection
reasoning, we simply don't want to handle "answers" of recipients.

I also think that even if you are a mom-and-pop shop you should get your own
domain and not using gmail.com or whatever as your primary business contact.
But we are not there yet and pushing to hard on this change would simply engage
an even bigger unwillingness to change the status quo.

The CSA requirements are being reevaluated every year and if the ISP
representatives in the CSA counsel think it's time to tighten the rules it will
happen. From my personal experience, they lag the ability to do an ongoing
vetting of their members and it often hurts to see competitors not getting
punished for obvious violations. But they bring something to the table that
helps to clean up a lot of communication problems an ESP normally faces on the
day to day operations.

PS: i will bring the domain alignment issue as topic to the discussion for
adding that as an requirement for the next iteration of the CSA rules...

Kind regards,

Tobias Herkula
--
optivo GmbH