Badness adapts.

COI is critical, as is … bounce detection and detecting if a user never opens
their mail.

And don’t send signup confirmations out the same IP as regular list traffic.

If the mail bounces, and the List software of Mail Op doesn’t notice, Bad
Things Will Happen.

If there’s not some form of closed loop confirmation of the email address, More
and Different Bad Things Will Happen.

The harassment du jour is Subscription Signup Bombing, where various people who
have pissed off Bad People are signed up to … 2800 different web-based mailing
lists per hour, Because They Can. Again, these Bad People can and typically do
deploy CAPTCHA solvers against various Mailing List packages.

Oh, and when sending out a signup confirmation, please specify an

An SMS validation might slow some of this craziness down.

So would just junking each and every mailing list signup confirmation until the
one that you did ask for shows up in your junk folder.

The hassles of yester-year have given way to new hassles… lest one bad practice
should corrupt the world. Or something. ☹

Aloha,
Michael.
--
Michael J Wise