This gave me an “a-ha!” moment:

> On Oct 23, 2019, at 05:54, Laura Atkins via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
> 2) They’re acting in ways that tells Microsoft they don’t care about the
> mail, including some or all of the following:
>       a) never opening the mail
>       b) deleting the mail
>       c) never looking for the mail and pulling it out of the spam folder.

There are frequently emails that I am glad to get but which I don’t need to
read anything other than the subject line of in order to satisfy my attention
to their (desired!) content.

And this suggests that if I simply delete those emails *apparently* unread, a
machine that’s monitoring my behavior won’t notice that I jotted an entry in
another tracking spreadsheet relative to that message before I deleted it. (Of
course, I’d be pretty freaked out if it *did* have the ability to take that
into account!)

So, an AI with tunnel vision will only know what I’m doing if it “sees” me
doing it.

I can think of a few processes over the decades where I have routinely taken an
extra “unnecessary” step or two (or several!) when interacting with
less-sophisticated code in order to accomplish a desired result reliably, and
couldn’t really rejigger the code to handle the multitude of edge cases, so I
acted in such a way as to make the code not “think” of them as edge cases. And,
again, this was with *far* less sophisticated code than an AI.

Even though I wouldn’t prefer my email service to behave like Zork from time to
time, and have my emails occasionally eaten by a grue, I think that’s the
logical extension of where we are with AI brokers.

--
This email was Virus checked by DSSC Solutions Company Security Gateway.