From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Laura Atkins via mailop
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 2:49 AM
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: Re: [mailop] Junk filtering as a tool for unfair competition

One of the things I’ve deduced over the years from discussions (oh so many
discussions) is that one of the major factors in SmartScreen filters is how
recipients are interacting with the mail. It is a direct measure of how your
users are interacting with the mail.

This means a few things.

1) They’re acting in ways that tells Microsoft they actively don’t want the
mail, including some or all of the following:
              a) marking the mail as spam
              b) answering the “did we categorize this correctly as spam”
question with yes
              c) answering the “did we categorize this correctly as not spam”
question with no

2) They’re acting in ways that tells Microsoft they don’t care about the mail,
including some or all of the following:
              a) never opening the mail
              b) deleting the mail
              c) never looking for the mail and pulling it out of the spam
folder.

In the case of transactional messages, basically what it says is that your
users don’t care about their password resets, or their receipts or whatever it
is you’re sending to them. They’re not interacting with the mail in any way
that’s telling microsoft this is valuable mail.

When Microsoft tells you to “revalidate your lists” that’s a signal that you
should really look at the accuracy of your data. Are these messages actually
going to the people who triggered the transactional mail? Do the addresses
belong to your users? How active are these users on the Microsoft platform?
(I’ve had a couple of MS addresses for over 20 years now, but i don’t use them
for any real mail. Mostly they were my usenet posting addresses and maybe the
occasional test address.)

My professional experience is that Microsoft has the most sensitive and
aggressive filters in the top 3 free mailbox providers. I’m not convinced that
this is intentional. None of that really matters. It’s their system and we have
to deal with it.

My professional experience is that many senders with Microsoft delivery
problems have underlying issues that need to be addressed to get into
Microsoft. But they see Microsoft’s sensitive and aggressive filters as
“unfair” and “broken” because they aren’t having problems with other free
mailbox providers. They refuse to change what they’re doing.

Thus, we end up with long threads here on mailop complaining, yet again, about
Microsoft being mean.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com<mailto:la...@wordtothewise.com>
(650) 437-0741

Email Delivery Blog:
https://wordtothewise.com/blog<https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwordtothewise.com%2Fblog&data=02%7C01%7Cmichael.wise%40microsoft.com%7Cd0096e00016c4d0e909508d7579ed90f%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C637074212085458553&sdata=FuH%2F71oTfgYMmxBUBA0FDyfeLcprZhZ0EeJgADG32b4%3D&reserved=0>