> On 3 Feb 2020, at 14:04, Brandon Long via mailop wrote:
>
>> One of the main reasons I don't think we should use such long retries
>> is
>> that it violates user expectations.  Users often treat email as nearly
>> instantaneous, because it normally is... so taking hours or days of
>> actually failing without any quick indication to the user violates
>> that
>> expectation.
>
> This. Expectations have changes *a lot* over the years.
>
> For some pairs of correspondents, it's ok to wait a couple days for an
> email. For others, a message delayed more than a few hours is pointless.
>
> For bulk outbound email, we tend to see a queue that doesn't drain fast
> enough as a sign of trouble.

I've always made a point of educating people that email is not an SLA'd
service and the odd delay will happen. If people need a fast response they
need an interactive engagement - a phonecall.

SMS services are the same. As usual as text-message notifications are,
they can and do get delayed in the network sometime. Reasons that
emergency services are usually turned out by methods more timely and
reliable.

I agree that quietly queueing for a reasonable amount of time is a great
way to manage outages, so i'm not keen to see a trend toward reducing
queue times much lower than they are already. The guy frantically
rebuilding the mail-server and reconfiguring it on the fly because backup
recovery isn't viable, values knowing that he can liven up the machine and
receive his queue 36 hours later.

Mark.