On 2020-12-21 22:15, Jay Hennigan via mailop wrote:
On 12/21/20 18:55, John Levine via mailop wrote:

The politest term I have for Sendgrid's actions here is deeply irresponsible.

Agreed, but not solely because of the content of the message. It, like much of what comes from Sendgrid, is bulk unsolicited email. Sendgrid are spammers. It doesn't matter whether they spam encouraging or discouraging COVID vaccination, it's still spam.

Agreed in spades. As spammeister in the largest company in Canada (it isn't anymore), it was my job to keep spam out. Yes, there were many times where things were brought to my attention because they were objectionable on other grounds, that contained an ask to "block all of <company>".

In EACH case, I remembered the painful lessons of companies getting into embarrassing trouble when explanations of broad blocking are asked, especially out in the public (there are many times where such things have become almost front page news), so you have to be *careful* even with the "my hardware/my people my rules" defense.

I didn't block competitors (many of which we did business with with subcomponents/joint projects or industry standards so it would be slitting our own throat) as competitors, I blocked ONLY their HR (mostly) because their job solicitations were spam and had generated complaints. That was my story, I stuck with it, and taught senior management that was the answer you always give when asked.

I knew, that if something were to become public, we could embarrass the sender far more than they could us.

Strangely enough, never got any pushback from anyone about those (where "block <company>" I translated to block "this thing" because it's spam).