On Fri 07/May/2021 17:39:33 +0200 Jay Hennigan via mailop wrote:
On 5/7/21 01:33, Alessandro Vesely via mailop wrote:
On Wed 05/May/2021 21:14:08 +0200 Jay Hennigan via mailop wrote:

Then my personal recommendation would be Mailchimp or possibly Constant Contact if you're not comfortable with doing it in-house.

Thank you Jay for mentioning that.

Would someone explain concisely what are the main tradeoffs that make it uncomfortable to run a campaign in-house, in this post-desktop publishing era?

It depends on what the problem is that you're trying to solve. If you want tracking bugs and a lot of analytics, that requires more expertise. If you just want to get the message out to your subscribers it's not that difficult.

Indeed!

The GNU Mailman program is free and open-source and does a reasonable job for small to medium sized lists. I've been running it for a number of specialty mailing lists both broadcast and discussion style for well over a decade with few issues, some lists well over 1000 subscribers and it scales beyond that.

I think most of the people who run their own mail site experienced running mailing lists. It is quite straightforward. However, organizations that outsource email facilities obviously need to turn to an ESP.

Bear in mind that a substantial portion of the people on this list are either in the email service provider business or support those who are so you are likely to get nudged in that direction.

Yeah, I know.

I appreciate that recommended ESPs do full impersonation, I mean DMARC, DKIM, SPF. I'd hope such formal impersonation implies actually wearing their customers' shoes. If ESPs provide target users with a seamless email interaction with their customer organization, then any ethic doubt softens into the deep meaning of what is an organization's identity.

Others let the outsourcing be apparent. For example, Greenpeace acting through e-activist.com. I don't know you, but I take notice of a site's TLD being org vs com. E-activist.com in particular seems to be willing to address any kind of activism, irrespective of its color. I can't stand it. It's too much!

Best
Ale