On 1/31/22 12:44 PM, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
Ah, I did not assume that the mailing list server is different from the originating server. For me, the question *only* has sense when it is the same server. If they are different servers, then there is no problem at all.

Remember, SMTP servers operate on the SMTP envelope.

As such, the first SMTP server would send one copy directly to the recipient's SMTP server and another copy to the MLM's SMTP server. The MLM's SMTP server would not receive the direct recipient as part of the envelope. Thus it would not have SMTP level data that a copy should go to the first recipient.

The *only* job of mailing list software is to resend the mail it receives to list members. It should completely ignore recipients in "To:" or "Cc:" headers, they are of no interest for a mailing list and they have already been taken care of by the originating server, as you indicated. In case of two different servers, you are right of course.

Mailman (2.x) has an option to not send additional copies to subscribers if they are either To: or CC: recipients. This is (at least) a per-recipient settings. (I don't know if there is a mailing list / Mailman server default.)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die