John Levine via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> writes:

> I realize conspiracy theories are fun, but I actually talked to the
> people who designed MTA-STS at the time they were developing it.

I guess I was a bit harsh, and also could have made it more clear that
I'm guessing at what could be the reason for such a move.  However,
calling my guess a "conspiracy theory" is, I think, a bit over the top.
I'm not suggesting that any kind of conspiracy exists, merely that
Google did something for the most common reason any company does
anything.  I shouldn't have suggested that they deliberately set out to
fool people, though.  As I pointed out, it says right in the RFC that
MTA-STS is an inferior and less secure alternative to DANE.

> Google people did the largest amount of work, and they told me that
> they didn't (and still don't) do DNSSEC because too much stuff other
> places would break. Their DNS infrastructure is quite able to handle
> DNSSEC, but they believed that it would be too long until DNSSEC and
> DANE would work reliably so MTA-STS was the kludge in the meantime.

I don't get it.  Surely, things would only "break" where people have
tried to implement these mechanisms, presumably in order to improve
their security, and done it wrong?  Those installations are already
broken, but their owners are unaware.  If a big player like Google were
to implement DANE support, they would probably notice, and fix their
mistakes.  After all, DNSSEC and DANE have worked reliably for a very
long time, but, like most other things, MTA-STS included, they have to
be correctly configured by those who are using them.

> Clearly opinions can vary. Comcast's mail system is pretty big, and
> they do use DNSSEC and DANE.

Also, Microsoft, the other big party in the MTA-STS design work, is in
the process of implementing it.  They already correctly verify DNSSEC
and DANE when sending email, and are working on the incoming support.

Big players implementing these things is important, because it gives
momentum to the spreading of awareness and use elsewhere.  Fundamental
security mechanisms like DNSSEC and RPKI ought to be ubiquitous.

On a related note, I also wish the big browsers would check for DNSSEC
and DANE, show the user the result, and refuse to connect to a web site
with one or more DNSSEC protected TLSA records, but none matching the
presented certificate.  Meanwhile, I use the "DNSSEC/DANE Validator"
plugin in Firefox, configured to do exactly that.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay