On 2023-06-22 00:32:37, Sebastian Nielsen via mailop wrote:
> Why even send retry requests to SendGrid?
> Just accept the email, whats the problem?
>
> If your antivirus or mail scanning solution requires some time,
> buffer the email at your server instead. I do understand it creates
> the problem of, when deciding to keep or trash the email, SendGrid
> client is long gone, And sending back an error would create
> backscatter.  But then, just silently trash the email if it is
> deemed virus or similar.

If your spam filter is perfect this can work. Otherwise, silently
deleting mail is not nice for our customers, is not nice for the
senders, and is illegal in some places.

> You could try using stream scanning and then when arriving at final
> decision, let client wait for some seconds before getting an scan
> result.

We already do this, and I don't see how it's relevant. The transaction
can still time out, and there are lots of other reasons why we might
send a 4xx.

> >>These are a pair of tickets for Hershey Park that a family has been waiting
> >>on for two days:
>
> Your fault. You rejected the email with "Please retry immediately" just to
> mock with SendGrid.

They were going to get a 4xx anyway. I changed the message to *help*
SendGrid.

> If you have the possibility to set an IP to have custom reject text,
> you have the possibility to whitelist that IP (and/or domain) so
> mail pass unaffected.

Where do I find out what the IP/domain is? Is it in my mail logs,
*after* they've deleted the message? Durrrrrr