> So, if a MUA [...] displays besides verified BIMI logos also other logos,
> obtained by different method from a different source (for example Gmail
> profile pictures as it is today), we have exactly this case - the presence
> or absence of logo says nothing to the user with respect to whether the mail
> is genuine or not.
>
> [...] To fulfill this goal, it must be the only mechanism.

I feel like multiple people in this thread have mentioned alternative ways of
showing a logo is verified. Some MUAs may work on the principle you suggest,
presence alone. But if an MUA has some sort of other indicator that the brand
logo was verified for a specific email, surely that still fulfills a large part
of the goal? In the end it's up to the MUA how to best implement this in a way
that it's clear to the user, but I don't see how that's the fault of the BIMI
spec. It's just another tool that should help communicate email authenticity
somewhat clearer (while also being quite attractive to adopt for many
businesses, who doesn't want their logo next to the email saying it's verified).

I'm not sure why people seem to be taking this all or nothing approach, where
either it solves everything or it's useless. The reality is almost always
somewhere in between.

Groetjes,
Louis