> > It can be useful to show X-Face or Gravatar from certain mails, such as
> > those coming from a (trusted) forum (hint to Louis: it may be useful to
> > be able to configure the images to show for specific senders)
>
> Will be implementing something like this later on, probably for workplace
> platforms. All my emails from GitHub discussions for example have the GitHub
> logo right now, making individual users not that visually distinguishable.
> GitHub sends a user header from which I could fetch the associated users'
> avatar.

        An open standard that doesn't require paying fees would be an
important theme in all of this.

> I didn't know about the X-Face header! Is that something still in use?

        Not really.  It was more common on Usenet, and it has many
limitations that would probably annoy the vast majority of end-users
today and waste a lof ot time for technical support because PBM
(X-Face's image format, as I recall) it doesn't support colours, and
users will likely encounter problems converting to PBM format since
default graphics programs on their Operating Systems don't support
exporting to PBM (at least I haven't seen any).

> What kind of configurability would you be looking for? Aside from overriding
> through contacts of course.

        I like the idea of there being two images:
                1. organizational logo (configured in the DNS zone)
                2. sender's avatar (in an SMTP header)

        What would be great is to have this set as an internet standard so
that an X- prefix won't ever show up in the wild.

        An SMTP header like "Avatar: " for the user that contains a
Base64-encoded WebP image (since this is offers the best comrpession
and is widely supported), and a DNS TXT record that starts with
"logo=" followed by a Base64-encoded WebP image (which an eMail
client could download an inject into an "Avatar-Org:" SMTP header).

        As tempting as it may be to include support for a URI in these, I
think it would be better not to for various privacy reasons, and to
maintain the immutability of eMail messages once received.

        I'd be happy to join the discussion if you've got a link to share.

Postmaster - postmas...@inter-corporate.com
Randolf Richardson, CNA - rand...@inter-corporate.com
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
https://www.inter-corporate.com/