On 2024-03-13 at 14:30:40 UTC-0400 (Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:30:40 +0200 (EET))
Harald Hannelius via mailop <har...@iki.fi>
is rumored to have said:

Are there SMTP-"clients" that actually are able to back down from STARTTLS and continue unencrypted?

I'm not aware of anyway to de-escalate after a STARTTLS on the same TCP connection. The plaintext fallback behavior that I'm aware of in MTAs' SMTP clients is by way of a fresh connection. Some have done so poorly at times and I'm not sure how good fallback is across the class. I don't think any MUA client knows how to fall back in any way.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire