On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 at 10:09, Marco Moock via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
> Mar 14 06:54:17 srv1.xyz sm-mta[498019]: 42DK6aqc496761:
> to=<x...@gmail.com>, delay=09:47:40, xdelay=00:00:03, mailer=esmtp,
> pri=5370980, relay=alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com., dsn=4.7.28,
> reply=421 4.7.28 Gmail has detected an unusual rate of unsolicited mail
> originating, stat=Deferred: 421-4.7.28 Gmail has detected an unusual
> rate of unsolicited mail originating

The full message from Gmail gives you more hints about the problem: it
may be a rate limiting for the DKIM signing domain, for the SPF
domain, for an URL included in the email, for the sender and so on.

E.g. the full message could be like this:
421-4.7.28 Gmail has detected an unusual rate of unsolicited mail originating
421-4.7.28 from your DKIM domain [#redacted#      36]. To protect
421-4.7.28 our users from spam, mail sent from your domain has been temporarily
421-4.7.28 rate limited. For more information, go to
421-4.7.28  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=UnsolicitedRateLimitError to
421 4.7.28 review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines. #redacted# - gsmtp

The SPF tempfail error starts with the same words, too.
The URL one have a different prehamble.
I don't know how many other errors you can get, but if you want to
investigate you need the full error.

> It was only this message. Why don't they reject them with 5xx when they
> treat the mail as unsolicited?

They give you a tempfail because it is a rate limiting: so if you try
later it usually will work.

> It was only this mail, my server wasn't abused by spammers.
>
> Although, I send only a very small amount of mail to Google. Do they
> use that to calculate the rate?

You need the full message to make a better guess, but, for example, if
Google is receiving a lot of spam with a given URL domain in the body
it may start rate limiting that content from every source, including
you.

Stefano

--
Stefano Bagnara