On 2024-03-14, Marco Moock via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Yesterday I replied somebody directly on debian-users (he uses a crappy
> mailer and sends to the author and the mailing list...).
>
> Gmail doesn't like this mail, but rejects it with a tempfail. I've now
> deleted it from mqueue.
>
> Mar 14 06:54:17 srv1.xyz sm-mta[498019]: 42DK6aqc496761:
> to=<x...@gmail.com>, delay=09:47:40, xdelay=00:00:03, mailer=esmtp,
> pri=5370980, relay=alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com., dsn=4.7.28,
> reply=421 4.7.28 Gmail has detected an unusual rate of unsolicited mail
> originating, stat=Deferred: 421-4.7.28 Gmail has detected an unusual
> rate of unsolicited mail originating
>
> It was only this message. Why don't they reject them with 5xx when they
> treat the mail as unsolicited?
> It was only this mail, my server wasn't abused by spammers.
>
> Although, I send only a very small amount of mail to Google. Do they
> use that to calculate the rate?

They don't reject with 5xx because they're not rejecting that message,
they are rate-limiting you or the network you're on.
I get this often, because one user forwards their mail to
gmail, including all the spam. Google rejects the spam, and from time
to time also rate-limits me. Which I don't care about, because I send
very little mail, and it goes through on the next run.

Google is brain-dead about "unsolicited" mail - whatever machine
learning it's doing, is crap.

Their latest daftness (latest in my noticing it, anyway) is
rate-limiting on the basis of too many recipients for a single
message-id, where "too many" varies from 6 to 30. You'd think they'd
never heard of organization mailing lists.

Julian.