Am 17.03.24 um 14:05 schrieb Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop:
Dnia 17.03.2024 o godz. 08:30:39 Hans-Martin Mosner via mailop pisze:
does IPv6 (not exclusively though), and I've been trying to usher in
the future by setting up at least dual stack on my home DSL
connection (that at least works now after years of IPv6 routing
issues with my previous home DSL and no way of contacting tech-savvy
support there) and in our company (where I set up an IPv6 tunnel
which worked until the tunnel provider closed shop).
I don't quite understand what exactly the end user has to do to have dual
stack on his home connection. The ISP either provides IPv6 to you or not,
there's nothing to do for you.
Well when I first did it my provider had no IPv6 so I used a tunnel. And even now I have to enable it in my router, otherwise I get only IPv4. So I didn't have to do much, but it also didn't happen magically.

My current ISP (BTW, one of the biggest cable providers in Europe, you can
probably guess which one it is) currently provides by default an IPv6 *only*
connection to the home users, even if you have IPv4-only devices in your
LAN. They use the solution called DS-Lite: the modem/router they lease to
you does an IPv4-over-IPv6 tunnel(!) to some point inside the ISP's network,
where the packet is decapsulated, a CG-NAT is done to some public IPv4
address and the connection continues via IPv4 to the target address. IPv6
connections just pass through unchanged.

I would prefer to avoid going through a NAT, but for most home users this is
probably not an issue.

My point is mostly that it's quite possible to get IPv6 if you want, most small or medium organizations just don't have the expertise to do it, and the providers are not very helpful.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin