MAISA members,
   I do not recall if my previous e-mails have gone to the entire
group, so I’m doing it now.
   I have spent some time going over Dan’s proposal and thinking
about how it would affect us and other teams. I have also been reading
all the MAISA e-mails coming across my screen.
   I think Dan has put together a very good proposal. I see some
negatives in it for the larger/varsity teams. I hope those teams will
see them as minor. Blaine brought up some good points in his Sept. 9
note.  
   But overall I think it is good. For us as a small program, it
represents a very desirable change.  
   Having one qualifier with restricted participation is not asking for
much over a year of competition. But the returns could be great. My
sailors do not mind getting beaten by the Powerhouse teams. They know
they are competing against the best and there is a lot of value in that.
Sailing in deep, talented fleets is good for everyone. On the other
hand, they grumble about how at the big races the fleet segregates into
two groups within the first five minutes of every race. They love the
idea of once a year going mano a mano with the remaining teams without
the big boys being there. 
   There seem to be few negatives for the big squads and a lot of
positives for the smaller programs.  Most of these have been mentioned
in the e-mails you have read.  Let me add one more positive: Under the
current system a team can qualify at the second qualifier by coming in
5th or 6th (or whatever). So why exclude the Powerhouses? We can still
qualify with them there. The reason for us is clear. As a club team with
modest means, being able to go to our AD, VP of Student Affairs, and
even the student newspaper saying “We won this event and are now going
to the Championships” simply carries much more weight and generates a
lot more support around campus than does “We came in 6th and are going
to the Championships”. It might seem like a small thing to some, but
around here it could positively influence future key administrative
decisions.
   Finally, I am happy that this has never been an us-versus-them
issue. I hope we can keep it that way. I know we all greatly value our
interactions with all MAISA students and coaches.

Thanks, Dan. We like it. 

Gene Williams, Salisbury University (SSU)


E. Eugene Williams, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Salisbury University
1101 Camden Avenue
Salisbury, MD 21801

phone: 410-548-2062
fax: 410-543-6433

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web pages:
http://www.salisbury.edu/Schools/Henson/biology/faculty/Williams.html
http://facultyfp.salisbury.edu/eewilliams/


_________________________________________________
maisa mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.collegesailing.org/mailman/?listname=maisa

Reply via email to