Yes, Martin Huges, you are right, Iarba called Aeneas ?semivir? according
to his racial resentment, but I think is a method V used not to degrade
Rome?s hero too much. For example: If V had let Aeneas be degraded by one
of his companion, the public would have been too shocked and Aeneas would
not have been the same positive hero. Iarba?s sentence, instead, is an hide
message sent by V to better understand Aeneas? character. As a matter of
fact Aeneas can?t be compared with the ancient epic heros, as I said in
my last post, he is often not the only subject of his actions, he is often
like Jason: He would able to obtain nothing without the help of some other
character. For example he does not cut a fine figure when he looses his
wife in Troy or when he left Dido after having promised her his love (the
same as Jason). He is not the real hero of the war against Turnus (their
final battle looks like very artificial, very ?pugna ficta?), he stays away
from the narration for many times. An hero of that kind could really look
like a ?semivir? to V?s public and much more to a society of Aeneas? contemporary
period. He should look like quite, I dare say, a gay character to a society
of that kind , more closer to a female epic hero models.

Stefano Vitrano
C.E.I. school, Palermo, Italy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]