From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VIRGIL: Ohio Girls & Odysseus Comp Q
Date: Fri,  1 Oct 2004 09:02:11 -0400

"Founder of the faith"?  Which faith?  Certainly not Aeneas's faith.

Isn't this just the tired old T. S. Eliot/Warde Fowler school of the
Judeo-Christian Aeneas?

Shawn Smith

Shawn Smith
Assistant Professor of English
Department of English and Modern Languages
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA  23909
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.longwood.edu/staff/smithsb

Quoting "Robert T. White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

BG scripsit:
I suggest Theodore Haecker's "Virgil: Father of the West". There's a good
chapter there about how Aeneas and Odysseus are quite dissimilar figures.
Also (the best part) explains (in ecstasy almost) how Aeneas is in fact most
similar to Abraham, the founder of the faith.
It's a 1934 book...you'll have to find a used copy, try Alibris.com

Thanx! But 1934??? Wow...........

Bob White

Robert T. White Shaker Heights HS Shaker Heights OH

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----------------------------------------------------------------------- To leave the Mantovano mailing list at any time, do NOT hit reply. Instead, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message "unsubscribe mantovano" in the body (omitting the quotation marks). You can also unsubscribe at http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub