<< message forwarded by listowner, David Wilson-Okamura >>

From: "ddavis-henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:08:52 -0500

Creusa's separation from her family towards the end of book II is tough for
me to accept and to teach.  I readily understand why her elimination from
the storyline is necessary (to work  in Dido and then Lavinia) but did
Vergil not have the time to treat this episode more compassionately or at
least with a few more details to make us feel that Aeneas had some concern
for her at one of the most terrifying moments of their lives together?  His
regard for his father and son are exemplary but what about his beloved wife?

At line 673 and ff. Creusa is clinging to Aeneas' feet and holding up their
small son, imploring Aeneas to take them both back  with him on his mission
of death (si periturus abis, et nos rape in omnia tecum, II 675).  She then
reminds him of his responsibility to protect his own home first and
poignantly asks 'to whom will little Iulus be left, to whom will Anchises be
left' and  finally she asks in 1st person 'TO WHOM AM I WHO WAS ONCE CALLED
YOU WIFE TO BE LEFT?'

The  good omens of Iulus' fiery hair and the comet ending on Mt. Ida follow.

Then at 706 and following, our hero states his strategy for escaping the
burning city and rendezvousing at the
temple of Ceres.  Anchises will be on his shoulders, Iulus will be his
companion and as for Creusa,
    "et longe servet vestigia conjunx" : " and let my wife observe our
footprints from afar!"  It's hard to imagine that Creusa, who moments before
had exploded with emotion at being left by Aeneas, now tacitly agrees to be
parted from her husband and her only son and  to make her way at a distance
from them through a night filled with murder and mayhem!  The scene makes me
uncomfortable with Aeneas once again:   though he goes through hell to find
her once he realizes she is lost, his concern for her came too late.    It
would be great to hear what others think about this scene.

D.D-Henry, Columbus, Ohio