I'm sorry not to have read Christine's article: it's an omission I will
make good soon.  Meanwhile, like Matthew, I warm to the idea that Creusa
has a responsible role in what Neven rightly calls a military situation.
This is the role assigned to the second officer in a Roman
military century, the 'optio', who kept a lookout from the rear of the
line.  I think Creusa exercises her responsibility in a more determined
and tragic way than Aeneas envisages.  The reason why Aeneas survives is
surely that she does not follow him as he expects but lures the Greek
soldiers to follow her, knowing that they will be looking for a woman to
rape - then torture and kill.  She does this - it's more heroic than
anything Aeneas does - to spare both her son and the other women in the
company.  Reflecting on David's comments I agree that there will be other
women in the group of evacuees: their job will indeed be to carry what
pieces of gold and jewellery than can manage.  It is not V's method (there
are some exceptions, perhaps) to dwell explicitly on disgusting things,
so the Goddess takes Creusa's life before the Greeks can touch her and
Aeneas sees only her serene and dignified shade, not her poor body. But I
think that the horror of Creusa's heroic fate is implicitly part of the
background of the conversation with Deiphobus in Book VI, though Deiphobus
is too tactful to mention Creusa by name.  Presumably he suspects rather
than knows that she did not survive.  But his references to 'the false
joys of that last night' and to 'too much inescapable memory' (513-4) must
recall Creusa very bitterly. This is the moment when Sibyl-Deiphobe,
(surprisingly Deiphobus' spiritual sister) fears that Aeneas may lose
heart and hurries him on. - Martin Hughes