Thanks to Leofranc and David for help on Helens' robe and Mrs
Swancourt's rings.

The passage in Thomas Hardy finishes with a heniadys of his own which
can scarcely be accidental: "Beyond this rather quaint array of stone
and metal Mrs Swancourt wore no ornament whatever."  (But is 'stone
and metal' really a hendiadys?)

I suspect all this was aimed at his friend and Classics tutor Horace
Moule, rather than the general public whom he hoped would be reading
his novel.

Patrick Roper