This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Sorry, it escaped me before ending and controlling it.

Once for ever,
the reason for I call for a MODERN CRITIC EDITION of the Cosmographiae
Introductio has its reason in avoiding that anybody awaking a certain day might
put his grain on the matter ignoring the work made by others and having no
knowledge of Latin, Renaissance Latin, scienific language, Renaissance Science,
linguistic context, projective geometry, cartography, history of exploration,
epistemological methods, history of drawing and representation of space and so
. . . for tens of disciplines!

I submit - but I ensure you, it is my last message on this topic - two more
translations, the best up to now, made in 1907 by Fisher and Wieser, and in
2008 by Hessler, both never quoted before.

1907:
Introduction
to Cosmography
With Certain Necessary Principles
of Geometry and Astronomy
To which are added
The Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
A Representation of the Entire World, both in
the Solid and Projected on the Plane,
Including also lands which were Un-
known to Ptolemy, and have been
Recently Discovered

2008:
Introduction to Cosmography
containing the requisite principles of geometry and astronomy
besides the Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
and
A proper representation of the whole world, both as a globe and a map,
that includes remote lands unknown to Ptolemy recently brought to light

I used the same lining as they didn't use punctuation.

All the best
vladimiro

Il giorno 08/giu/2011, alle ore 09.48, Wouter Bracke ha scritto:
> This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
> whole list)
> o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't think one should translate universalis with cosmographiae - what does
> it mean? - but one should take it as a synonym of general, adj. with
> descriptio (Cfr. Cornelis De Jode's Totius Orbis Cogniti Universalis
> Descriptio). Descriptio does not necessarily mean description; its first
> meanings are reproduction, copy or picture.
>
> Wouter Bracke
> Prenten, kaarten en plans - Estampes, cartes et plans
> Koninklijke Bibliotheek van België - Bibliothèque royale de Belgique
> Keizerslaan 4 - Boulevard de l'Empereur 4
> B 1000 Brussel - B 1000 Bruxelles
>
> E-mail : wouter.bra...@kbr.be
> Tel.: 00.32.(0)2.519.57.43
> Fax : 00.32.(0)2.519.57.42