From: Sorin Fortiu <mbusi...@banat.ro>
To: maphist@geo.uu.nl
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:07 PM
Subject: [MapHist] RE: Help! (Dacia in the Ptolemaic maps)

This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Dear Doug,

These mistakes are taken by Gastaldi from Sebastian MÜNSTER?s "Geographia
vniversalis, vetvs et nova, complectens Clavdii Pto\lemæi alexandrini
enarratio\nis libros VIII., Quorum primus noua translatione [Bilibaldi]
Pirckheimheri (i.e. Willibald PIRCKHEIMER -n.m.) ... Succedunt tabulæ
Ptolemaicæ, opera Sebastiani Mun\steri (i.e. Sebastian MÜNSTER -n.m.) nouo
paratæ modo. ..., Basileæ (i.e. Basel -n.m.) apvd Henri\cvm Petrvm, Mense
Martio. An.[no] M. D. XLII (i.e. .03.1542 -n.m.), [56] + 195 + [194] [=446] pg.
There are at least 3 editions of this work published in 1540, 1542, 1545.
At http://www.swaen.com/Munster1540.html you will find the 1540 edition. On the
map 6, you will find the exact "mistake" as at Gastaldi's map of Germany.
You fill have to consult also the text below the map(s).

I suppose that the region where DACIA is inscribed on Gastaldi's map of Germany
is the ancient Gothland / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6taland
And because from Iordanes (6th century AD/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordanes) we "know" that the goths = dacians =>
Gothland = Dacia (in the mind of Gastaldi/Munster/etc).

Best Regards,
S o r i n