This is a MapHist list message.
News: If you don't get messages anymore, go to http://www.maphist.nl for news
about the new MapHist Forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

I think this is different than the point Dorothy Sloan was making, which was seconded by Ed Dahl. The idea that the price of any good rises over time and with inflation is quite different than the recommendation of using old maps as an investment strategy. This business is hardly the equivalent of an index fund, and has none of the liquidity or regulatory constraints that go into financial vehicles (OK, I know recent history questions some of the regulatory issues). I think you tread on very thin ice advising someone to use old maps as a significant investment vehicle. The ILAB (and IAMA) Code of Ethics rightly admonish not to use these materials as "investment schemes." The idea of investing in maps has something in common with investing in art, so that the higher end of the market is likely to yield the best returns over time: you had better have both funding and knowledge to forage that world on a consistent basis. And there are exceptions to everything.

          Joel Kovarsky