This is a MapHist list message.
News: If you don't get messages anymore, go to http://www.maphist.nl for news
about the new MapHist Forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

This seems absurd to me.

You cannot use "centuries" of evidence to dismiss modern day market reality.
The market economy of the past 50 years did not exist 100 years ago and what
we are dealing with today cannot be understood in these terms, hence, of
course "general price increases we think of as continuous really began in
the early 20th century".   That "rise" is an 80+ year pattern of ascendency
in map value that beats almost any other investment I can think of.  Like
any investment there is risk - the Earth could be hit by a meteor tomorrow
tumbling the world a new dark age, at that point I am not going  to be
worried about map value but nor am I going to be trading on the AMEX.   On
the other hand a tangible object that has steadily and dramatically
increased in value over the past 100 years is a pretty good investment.
Certainly I would see this 80+ year trend as a stronger indicator than say
the history of the American housing market, long touted as a stable and
solid investment.  Moreover, with a serious history of only about 50 or 60
years, the map trade in general remains in its infancy and has plenty of
room to grow.

On a related note, it is inaccurate to describe the acquisition of art for
investment as "speculation".  By definition a speculator is someone who
purchases something expecting profits without any serious basis for that
purchase.   While certainly there remain speculators in any investment
arena, this is foolish and it would not be prudent to invest in anything
without research and study.  In the art trade, at least, this information is
readily available to most people in the form of auction records, many of
which are conveniently archived online. Investing in art is thus nothing
like "Zen", it is based upon knowledge, experience, and timing just like any
other investment.  Collectors get the best returns because, of course, they
approach their collections with the greatest knowledge and passion.  This is
true of any market - that is to say, those who approach the market with
knowledge win.

The idea that investment is antithetical to collecting is akin to the
Tocquevillian idea that Democracy is the death of high art.   What we are
witnessing is an inevitable change in the collecting- but hardly its death
or decline.  A collector can nurse his passion for art while at the same
time acquire pieces that will likely rise in value as easily as I can
acquire profitable stocks in companies that maintain an ethical
environmental record.  Tocqueville lamented that without a moneyed  leisure
class there would be no "fastidious consumers" dedicated to the appreciation
and consumption of certain kinds of art.   What happened instead? The rise
in Democracy and coincided with a global cultural flowering of all kinds of
art.  The rise of the art-investor will no doubt change the market and yes,
potentially price out less well financed collectors, but it will also lead
to greater interest in the field and provide more opportunities
connoisseurship and knowledge to drive collections at all levels.  The
combination of collecting and investing is a natural response to the rise of
a trade, in this case map collecting, in a market economy where the likes of
investment capitalists, Arab Sheiks, and the global middle class are all
acquiring.

Kevin