Many thanks to Roy, Trevor, Brian and Pauline for answering my earlier
email regarding the import of DXF layers into Autocad. I have taken up your
suggestions and have achieved the result we were looking for.

Unfortunately a new problem has come to light this time involving the
import of dxf files into MapInfo. While it would seem that the x,y values
of the layers are preserved correctly, the z values are lost completely. I
have tried all the options under the Table-Import function eg preserve
attribute data, store elevation etc but to no avail.

Any ideas for a solution would be gratefully received!!!

Rachel