Hi Blair,

To make the distance and area functions default to kilometers issue the following
two commands before running your SQL statement:

Set Distance Units "km"
Set Area Units "sq km"

To run these commands automatically every time you start MapInfo, put them in
a workspace called StartUp.wor in your MapInfo directory (The directory where
MapInfow.EXE is located).

Although these commands change the defaults for functions it won't unfortunately
change the default units of a mapper.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sue.