Dear Jose:
Here are some reason why data must be topologically clean data:
1. if the data is not clean, errors will begin to creep into your
analysis. Especially when working with areas and perimeters of polygons.
For example, I need to know the areas of the various polygons that are
contain a rare plant species. If the data is not clean, how will I know
that the area reported by the GIS is accurate or not.

2. as I begin to do overlay, union and intersect type analysis between
several coverages, I may get incorrect results. For example, I am trying
to find areas which are prone to landslide. Using the GIS I overlay a
slope map with a terrain stability map, and a soils map. If my data is
not clean on all 3 maps, I may get areas in the new map which are
incorrectly classified, have the wrong attributes, etc. I have have to
use that map to guide my road layout  I may be locating the road in the
wrong place.

3. data sharing amongst different departments, companies. Other users of
your data will not have any confidence in your information.

4. rebuilding datasets sometime in the future. By using unclean data,
you will at sometime be faced with the challenge/task of having to
rebuild your project. This is very costly and time-consuming. Not to
mention what becomes of any analysis you have done using that data.

5. Confidence in the accuracy of the analysis done on the data.

The analogy I use when asked about why data must be clean is one of
building a house. Your data forms the foundation of the house upon which
you will be adding rooms, painting the walls, adding wallpaper and so
forth. If the foundation is not solid and reliable, it does not
matter how good the paint job is, the house will fall down. The only
question is when. Then you have start all over again.
So I guess the question is how strong do I wish to make the house.

Hope this helps you to convince the powers that be that your data
should/must be topologically clean.
Bob Plummer
Smart Map Services
649 East Keith Road